Dlodlo moves to combat Motsoeneng claims
The South African government has formally acknowledged the comments made by the former Chief Operating Officer of the South African Broadcasting Corporation, Hlaudi Motsoeneng, and a group of artists during a media briefing held on Wednesday.
This comes after Motsoeneng held a media briefing in his personal capacity, earlier this week, pledging to fight "and win" the disciplinary hearing against him.
Motsoeneng was replaced at the public broadcaster after a parliamentary ad-hoc committee report found the previous board had mismanaged the SABC. He admitted that he remained an employee of the SABC, but is not allowed on the premises.
Communications Minister Ayanda Dlodlo on Wednesday said the Broadcasting Act clearly makes provision for the President to appoint the interim board within 10 days of receiving recommendations from the National Assembly.
The National Assembly made recommendations of five names to constitute the SABC interim board. The President thereafter appointed all the five nominated people to constitute the interim board for a period of six months and as such, they “enjoy the confidence of the shareholder”.
"As government, we would like to assure the public that the current interim board is a legally constituted board. The board has been mandated to implement the SABC Ad hoc Committee recommendations and should be afforded the space to do its work," said Dlodlo.
"It is expected that the interim board should ensure proper functionality of the South African Broadcasting Cooperation, so as to deliver on its public mandate, as per the Broadcasting Act.
"We reassert our full confidence in the capability of the current interim board to execute its mandate."
She called on all role players to allow the board and its authority to execute its duties.
- ELA celebrates after court rules that nuclear deal is unlawful
- Eskom clarify Tegeta payment
- DA want Molefe's 'golden handshake' to be worth R0.00
- Davies grapples with post-Brexit plans
- Brown declines R30 million Eskom payout
- OUTA and DA welcome Eskom ruling
- South Africa, China move to strengthen business ties
- CR: Votes are already being bought ahead of ANC elective conference
- Numsa President: Saftu will give workers a voice again
- 35 OR Tambo staff suspended following illegal commissions investigation