Driver killed after heavy goods truck rammed into his car
The driver of a light motor vehicle died, after a heavy goods truck rammed into him on the N1 near Raymond Mhlaba Road, just outside Bloemfontein on Saturday night.
Emergency officials managed to stabilise the driver at the scene of the crash and had him transported to a local hospital for treatment.
However, he ultimately succumbed to his severe injuries. The circumstances that led to the crash are still being investigated by authorities. The driver of the truck managed to emerge from the accident virtually unscathed.
Trauma Response spokesperson, Stanley Schimper, said: "On arrival emergency workers found the mangled wreckage of the car on the road surface and the truck on its side some distance further off the road."
"Realising the severity of the driver of the car's injuries, paramedics acted quickly by rapidly extricating him from the wreckage before immediately starting advanced life support treatment and intervention.
"He was stabilised on scene and then rushed to Pelonomi Hospital in Bloemfontein in a critical condition where he later sadly succumbed to his injuries. The other occupant of the car as well as the truck driver miraculously only sustained minor injuries and declined further treatment. It is suspected that the truck hit the car from behind, partially running over it before leaving the road and overturning."
More News South Africa
- Niehaus went to Land Imbizo as a subject of KwaZulu-Natal
- 2018 Vodacom Durban July: In Pictures
- Ramaphosa launches charm offensive in KZN
- Woman grieves as husband and four daughters are killed in horror crash
- Ramaphosa: For those who wish us ill, the ANC is here to stay
- Death toll edges closer to 80, as flood waters rip through Japan
- Securities Week Ahead - quiet on the data front, but busy with meetings
- Economics Weekly - quiet week expected ahead
- Lenasia South Community Health Centre proof the NHI won't work
- North West health department looking back on track after terminating contract with Gupta-linked comp