Two ‘Sun City’ escapees shot dead
Two of the 16 prisoners who broke out of a Johannesburg jail have been shot dead.
According to reports, the two inmates were gunned down in a shootout with police in Greytown in KwaZulu-Natal.
Last month, seven of the 16 inmates were recaptured and put behind bars.
Seven of those escapees are still on the run.
The prisoners were being held in the awaiting trial section of the Johannesburg Correctional Centre. They escaped during the early hours of Monday morning (April,9) from the prison, which is popularly known as “Sun City”.
The Department of Correctional Services' spokesperson, Monama Mochete said: Seven escapees are still at large. The department - together with other law enforcement agencies -will not rest until they are all back behind bars."
More News South Africa
- Mduduzi Manana fights back - opens case against ex-domestic worker
- Suspect arrested in connection with Delft taxi murder
- Renewable energy sector facing possible 'Marikana' moment
- Judicial system must move away from using only English, FF Plus says
- Eastern Cape and North West called out for not spending EDC grants
- Cosatu's Ehrenreich takes on Heart FM over De Lille story
- Trump hasn't heard anything from North Korea yet
- Cannes - more than just a film festival for Ernest Napoleon
- Europe thanks Trump for showing his true colours so early
- Hawaii on red alert after fissure six on Kilauea becomes active again