Gasly will 'keep pushing' for 2018 updates
Pierre Gasly is keen to ensure that Toro Rosso continue developing their STR13 until the last race of this season.
While most of their rivals arrived on the Spanish Grand Prix with a host of updates for their 2018 challenges, Toro Rosso's were minimal.
The team opted against a massive upgrade with reports claiming they will instead bring new parts to the next race in Monaco, and again in Canada.
Gasly, though, wants the Honda-powered team to continue developing the car throughout the season.
“From my side I’ll keep pushing them until the last race to bring me as much performance as I can,” he told Motorsport Week.
“It’s way too early to think about next year. I’m more like someone who tries to focus on what’s happening right now and maximise the potential we have now.
“Of course at some point more and more resources will go to next year’s car, but what I’m trying to focus on is to make the best of what we have.
“We see the other teams are competitive, Renault did a big step, Force India did a huge step in Baku, you can see the others are improving massively and we need to make sure we are improving as well.
“We should stay focused on this year, we saw we had good potential if we extract everything from the car as we did in Bahrain.
“That’s what we should target to do every weekend even if it’s difficult but I think the most important on my side is keep pushing them till the last race of the season to maximise our package.”
More Motor Racing
- 25G crash for Hartley, Honda assessing PU
- Todt: F1 had to take action with 2019 rules
- Wolff: Marko seeing 'ghosts' in tyre conspiracy
- Pirelli won't stay in F1 'at any cost'
- Marko rubbishes Wehrlein rumours for 'the moment'
- Red Bull watching engine updates 'with interest'
- Dennis 'super happy' with first F1 run
- Mercedes put Bottas in 'very difficult position'
- Bottas sets the pace as testing concludes in Spain
- Bottas sets early pace in Barcelona