Somali refugees slaughtered off coast of Yemen
Hodeidah Coast Guard officials have confirmed that 31 Somali refugees were killed off the coast of Yemen late on Thursday.
They said a helicopter attacked the boat that the refugees were travelling in, while they were on their way from Yemen to the Sudan.
The Apache helicopter attacked them near the Bab al-Mandeb strait.
Speaking to Reuters on Friday, UNHCR spokesperson Shabia Mantoo said: "We are distressed by this incident and understand that refugees were traveling in a vessel off the coast of Hodeidah which was reportedly impacted during the course of hostilities."
Conditions in Yemen have deteriorated significantly during the past month, and indications are that these refugees were victims of that circumstance.
More World News
- Mercedes-Benz plant Vitoria celebrates 100 000th V-Class
- This day in history: Robert Sobukwe charged with incitement to riot
- Suspected terror incident at UK Parliament
- Ex-DRC vice-president convicted of bribery and war crimes
- Protesters want ex-Gambia spy chief's head
- World's oldest billionaire dies at 101
- This day in history: Never forget Sharpeville
- Uber leadership crisis deepens as president quits
- Violent clashes over grazing land in Kenya
- May fights for a united Britain